Monday 13 July 2015

Pan American Games-arrival

In spite of all that has been said about these games that no one cares about and many have no idea are going on in Toronto, I had a pretty relaxing day playing Paddington Bear.  My flight arrived a little late, my bag arrived a little late and then I had the pleasure of being greeted by no one.  I left the baggage zone in hopes of finding a sign that the games were underway, after a search I found an information desk, behind it was a lovely young lady who couldn't answer the "is there transportation to the main press centre" With a glazed look in her eyes she turned to the paper she was holding, an  answer arrived, "the what" Hi my name is Paddington, I'd like to go to the main press centre, she came up with "this is Gate A, you'll have to go to Gate E"  And away I went.  I came across several people standing around,  "Hi, two part question, I'd like to go to the main press centre and then to my hotel" The answer came, I'll get the person with the clip board, "We can give you a taxi coupon" she says, well that's great, but "you'll have to take the train, do you have your accreditation" I do.

The train from Pearson International in Toronto is great, best thing they've built, it fast half the price of a taxi and best of all got me closer to my destination is 25 minutes.  I soon discovered the next lack of information help desk. Asking the next question, "is there a shuttle to the main press centre"   Un-surprised by the answer "I don't think so, where is the press centre"  After passing along the address, he said I could walk there in 35 minutes, dragging my suitcase, laptop bag and 40 pounds of camera gear, not an option, but I did have a taxi coupon, however the taxi's I could use it with, were not the taxis lined up outside Union station.  Got a taxi and asked how he was enjoying the Games, "fares are down and traffic is terrible" our short conversation was over.  He did get me within a few blocks of where I had to be. Once inside the gates I knew my journey was coming to an end...

I picked up my accreditation, all warm from the new plastic coat, went to head inside the press centre, oops, the two scanners they had didn't work, but I looked honest so I was waved through, awesome security.  Picked up my photo vest and bag of things I'll never use, and then off to the transportation desk for the continuation of my journey.  Take this bus to the swimming pool, then take this bus to the hotel, and it worked, in spite of not having the correct accreditation to use the bus from the pool to my hotel, apparently the media bus didn't show today.

It didn't matter, I was in my room, relaxed and it took me less than three hours from the time I arrived at the airport.


No comments:

Post a Comment